Thursday, August 09, 2007

Small Town Joys

Hey Everybody! Works good, but let me share some little community gems with you.

So this library I work in has a "friends of the library" fund raising program which does an annual book sale, but also keep a sales cart in the lobby. A sales cart with a money box and it works on the HONOR SYSTEM. AND apparently works. So that's interesting and positive.

But you're pop cans are not safe!!

Yes, in MI you receive a 10 cent deposit on returned aluminum cans and marked plastic bottles. So this is how the story goes: Bill the stacks librarian in the evening used to go around and take the cans out of the wastebaskets as he closed up the library. The janitors were also doing this and they felt that Bill was taking what was rightfully theirs. So instead of talking to Bill they make it a Union issue and there has to be negotiations and such. During negotiations one of the janitors steals the empty pop cans bill had been saving up during the week off of Bill's desk and then another time some janitor tried to break into Bill's car for the bag of pop cans inside IT!

So now there are recycle containers for the pop cans and the proceeds go to the library. But they have to put a chain with a padlock on the recycle so no one takes the cans.

But your money is safe.

And then you have the closed community thing going where the kids say if you don't go to their church you're going to hell. And I must be careful of who I tell I'm an out sider to because some people will hate me then because I took a job in the Keweenaw that could have been taken by a local. So it goes...

Anyway, other than that things are going well. I've planted flowers and sealed my little deck and works going well.

This weekend I'm going to an Art Fair on Sat and a County Fair on Sun so I'll tell you any stories that ensue from those. Have a happy day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker