Thursday, November 29, 2007

"Snowmobile" Trails of the UP

Okay, this happened in September, but I didn't post until now because I didn't have the pictures to post with it.

Anywho, there is this old growth forest in the Keweenaw peninsula and I wanted to see it and of course I DO have all sorts of free time so off I go. And I drive places I hadn't driven through yet 'cause they aren't the real touristy spots and stuff and the forest really isn't on many maps. But it is on this one crappy tourist map that doesn't show it having any roads to it, so I know generally where it is. Then I find a road, a real road with a road sign and everything, going in the general direction of the forest so I thought I'd give it a shot. After about twenty minutes of going 10 mph I don't think I'm on a "road" anymore. And then I see this sign and realize I'm on a "snowmobile" trail.

So I stop and dig around my car a bit and pull out an Upper Peninsula map that does have the snowmobile trails on it and find approximately where I am and how far to go to the forest. Yeah, well, the thing is, and I'm surprised more snowmobilers don't get lost and die up here, there is a lot of selective logging. And the logging companies make their own "trails" and do not mark them. Also, those nice tiny orange dimonds are only at some not all of the snowmobile trail crossroads. So yes, I missed my turn and spent and extra hour on the trail making a giant loop back to the old growth preserve. At which point I had to drive through this huge puddle and hit a large rock which dented my tow bar, thank you radiator protecting tow bar! Also in the mean time I believe I found the remnaints of someone who didn't make it.


Anyway, since turning onto the real road that turned into the snowmobile trail it took me two hours to travel about 22 miles. And then I finally found the wood, though their signs are hardly any better than the snowmobile trail signs.

If you can't find the sign it's close to the top of the picture. I took this photo while sitting in the car. The "E. Pines" stands for Escanaba Pines. So I made it there around 6pm and the sun was setting and I didn't have a flashlight so I didn't stay long for fear of getting lost.

After my little hike through the forest I made it out of the woods and ended up in Copper Harbor. I have an almost empty tank of gas and there are three gas stations in Copper Harbor, two went out of business and the third closes at 7pm, or earlier if he feels like it, like on this particular day.

To recap: I'm about 35 miles away from the nearest gas station and 45 miles away from home, running on empty and with spotty cell phone coverage. I decide to go for it 'cause frankly I didn't want to stay in copper harbor that night and then have to tell my boss why I was late for work Monday morning. Oh yes, this was a Sunday. In the mean time as I'm driving my mom calls and I talk to her as I drive a good clip and OF COURSE there happens to then be a road block of deer I have to break for and then my cell phone died. Oops. So after avoiding the deer my empty light comes on a little bit (20 minutes) after that I make it to a gas station. Hurray!

My lesson? Never EVER, go anywhere in the UP with out filling up the gas tank at every gas station you see. 'Cause who knows where the next one will be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker