Saturday, February 11, 2006

Sad News of "Semi-relief"

Hello All, after a long struggle with diabetes and dialysis 3 times a week, my paternal grandmother has passed away Friday Feb. 10th about 7:30 pm. (not to mention a triple bypass a few years back and C.O.P.D.)
She died about a half-hour before I got to North Memorial Hospital, even though Chemska did her best to get me there quickly. (thanks again!) Apparently my grandma had been non-responsive for a while.
Anyways, I went up to the T.N.I.C.U., and my cousin's husband walked out of a room. I asked him how she was doing. He put his arm around me and told me that she had already gone. So, we went into the family consultation room and my aunt Sue came with me to the room my grandma was in.
My grandma, for the first time in so long, looked peaceful. The staff of the hospital had put a very nice dressing gown on her, and the sheet and pillowcase matched. My aunt and the doctor left so I could have a moment. I told her I was sorry for not being there but I tried my best. I told her that now, she can be free. Her suffering is finally over. I told her that the rest of us are going to be just fine. And you know something, my grandma's hands we're always so soft, I mean her whole life she was kinda chubby, and everyone loves a fat grandma. But her actual skin was soft, seriously like a baby's. So, I was holding her hand and just remembering feeling it brush my hair when I was little, and every now and then her hand would caress my face, and they were so soft. And they still are.
Wow, I went somewhere. Anyways, now the funeral and family biz. I guess she's being buried in Fort Snelling Cemetary-my Grandpa will join her later, hopefully not for a long time.
I feel bad for my dad, he's in Palm Springs, CA, on vacation.
So, yeah. I love you guys. Thanks for being my friends. I'll see you soon.

2 Comments:

Blogger Rhianna W said...

I remember you telling me about her... I think it was over christmas. Well I'm glad she isn't suffering anymore. Take care honey, I love you.

11:06 AM  
Blogger Hazel Stone said...

I'm sorry Rikki. It sounds like she had a long life and a loving family though...

11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker