Thursday, April 06, 2006

Boolean Operators

Boolean Operators are not the most exciting of subjects I know but as I have been wondering the informatonal maze that is the plethera of databased available at IU I've become slightly disturbed by the lack of consistancy in research options. As you may or may not know google inserts "and" inbetween every word you type in its research text box. But you can't write it yourself, you get a little admonishment when the results are posted. But you cant you just "or" or "not" you must use a "-" for not. What kind of shit is that? Do you realize the next generation of researchers will think "-" means "not" and the impact this will have on future research. Because children don't have access to proper databases until the pay for them they just get Google. It is thier introduction to the world of basic searchs. Though I know that don't think that way. And then what they learn from it will be carried by them for the rest of their lives, BUT THEIR WRONG! And their mass of mis-information will then become reality based purly on the fact there are so many who think that way. I wish I had that kind of mind power. Anyway the link is this little Boolean Operator Intro Movie and I think its funny.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker