Monday, April 02, 2007

Baltimore

These are the cliff notes version of my trip to Baltimore for the ACRL Librarian Conference:

0. Leave Thursday for Baltimore
1 Left phone in car and realize on plane
2. Arrived at deserted airport terminal (no chairs, ticket desks or people)
3. Drag luggage through convention center
4 1st taxi driver doesn't know where the hotel is
5 2nd taxi driver got in a fight with another taxi driver over my fare, had security guard rescue my luggage from trunk of taxi.
6. 3rd taxi driver finds hotel and drops me off (fare was $30), says "Nice lobby." of the hotel with peeling exterior, dingy interior lit by a lone dying floresent bulb, the clerk is a wisened east indian woman behing bullet proof glass who informs me that the EconoLodge I'm looking for is BEHIND this shit hole and I drag myself and luggage through the alley to the hotel at the end.
7. Find phone, in bag all along greatly relieved.
8. next morning find another conference goer, we promptly ditch the Econo lodge and find better lodgings together.
9. The convention center is stuffed with over 3,000 librarians, and hundreds of Mary Kay Ladies and underage cheerleaders dressed like hookers. I use the men's room.
10. Attend luncheon with guest speaker John Waters, out of 3,000 people only a dozen leave and I LOVE IT!
11. Rest of conference educational, uneventful and not worth expounding on. Get a really nice "manly attachee" as a part of conference package though.
12. Sunday go home.

4 Comments:

Blogger Your_Host said...

A picture is worth a thousand words. I would love to see photos!

8:12 PM  
Blogger Hazel Stone said...

John Waters!!!!

11:17 AM  
Blogger Rhianna W said...

John Waters was AWESOME!!! He suggested such fun tips to get into the library like: Spread the rumor one library is going to be naked for 2minutes at a random time on Thursdays, or have a "Just the Good Bits Day" where post-it notes are put in all the books where the naughty bits are.

12:04 AM  
Blogger Chemska said...

That sounds like fun. I love bizarre setbacks on trips, it makes them more enjoyable

10:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker