Saturday, March 11, 2006

Morbidly Fascinated

Milgram experiment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia: "The Milgram experiment (Obedience to Authority Study) was a famous scientific experiment of social psychology. The experiment was first described by Stanley Milgram, a psychologist at Yale University in an article titled Behavioral Study of Obedience published in the Journal of Abnormal and Social Psychology in 1963, and later discussed at book length in his 1974 Obedience to Authority: An Experimental View. It was intended to measure the willingness of a participant to obey an authority who instructs the participant to do something that may conflict with the participant's personal conscience."

This is something that I think I spoke with a couple of you about, I am sure Rumi is familiar with it. It makes for some really good Saturday afternoon reading and makes me think about myself and how I go about things. When I look around and don't like what I see I also have to look at myself and see what I don't like there as well. Because most of us do things for reasons we don't even understand.

I do tend to dwell on the morbid though, don't I? I actually was reminded of this by a post on one of my favorite DHAK blogs, Velcrometer, which is done by a Mpls native.

2 Comments:

Blogger Hazel Stone said...

I read about these studies in a class called (get this) "The Social Construction of Reality." Really interesting, but scary.

1:26 PM  
Blogger Rhianna W said...

Oh yeah, we learned about them in class. Especially the one where people thought they were shocking a 60 year old man to death and then of course the psychological aftermath the subjects delt with in realizing they were capable of doing such horrible things and the depression and following counseling and such. Or was this with the Yale students and their pretend prison?

2:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker